Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lizzie's 1st Haircut


Dun, dun, dun!
A few nights ago, while Lizzie was bathing, I had finally had enough of her wet little rat tail, and got out the scissors. 

I have never cut Lizzie's hair before.  Yes, she is nearly two years old.  

The thing is, her hair has several strange traits, none of which make it a candidate for a haircut. 

For one, her hair grows from a swirl from the back of her head.  See it, just southwest of the easterly pigtail?  That is where her hair grows, and it grows forward.  If she were to have bangs, they would of necessity start behind her ears.
Secondly, her hair is fine, and even on her first birthday, it was about as long as a grown-out buzz cut.

Finally, on top of getting my exact color and hair texture, she received the cowlick that I also got from my mom.  Thanks, Mom.
The tricky thing about this cowlick is that it is also on the opposite side from the thick swirl in the back of the head.  It's like the perfect storm, colliding mid-head.
 

Fortunately, her hair is finally long enough that we can get it in pigtails, and for a few minutes, even a braid.  Do you see the random strands in the back, that are a couple of inches longer than the rest?  Those are the ones I decided must be dealt with.

So just days after that cute little braid, I got out the scissors.  I would advise against the covert bathtime haircut method.  It was going fine until . . . .

That missing chunk will grow back--right?

At least the other side looks pretty good.  And at least I didn't give her bangs that go around the whole front half of her head.  At the rate her hair grows, she'd still be working on growing those out in middle school.


Not bad for a first try.



Do you cut your own kids' hair?   I'm not sure I will do this again for a while, but I'm also not sure I would take her to one of those fancy kids hair cut places.  What do you do?



I'm linking up with Alicia's Try New Adventures today!

7 comments:

  1. I think you did a good job for the first try! Did she wiggle much?

    Squishy is a wiggling MACHINE, but his hair grows like a weed! He has already had countless haircuts and his hair is threatening to be in his eyes again. We cut his hair--sometimes my hubby and I tag-team it. We put him in the highchair and play a movie on the laptop. Sometimes he gets snacks too. He might ingest a little hair...but it gets the job done. *sheepish*

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I love the photo hair history. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Thanks for the cowlick, Mom."

    "You're welcome. Enjoy."

    There are worse traits I could have passed on. Right? Right???

    I think her hair is pretty adorable already, but it'll be even better by middle school. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In addition to your mommy's cowlick you also got her flair for writing!
    Excellent haircut story time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo cute! I think you did a great job! I never cut my kids hair, they were just too wiggly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh well. It grows back. Emily's hair does that forward thing too. And it is super duper duper frizzy...that's from my granny. =/ You're in good company thoug because you might have remembered that I did this to Melody when she was little... http://joyceandnorm.wordpress.com/2010/02/02/hair-we-go/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do cut my kids' hair, though one of my daughter's went to the college of hair design once because I could not figure out where to begin with her fine, curly hair. My son HATES haircuts, especially when I use clippers. We're planning to take him to see Daddy get his hair cut and hope that helps him relax a little.

    ReplyDelete

I would hate for this to be only a monologue; please join in the conversation! :)