For years I have thought in the back of my mind that it would be wonderful to have a bread machine. About 20 years ago my parents bought a DAK machine, which is still running, even though the DAK company has been defunct for years.
![]() |
| image credit DAK Auto Bakery |
There have been a few times in the near 6 years I've been married that I have attempted to make yeast breads. The effort was grand, and the results were less than stellar. The conclusion is, if I want bread, it has to be the quick bread variety (like banana or beer bread), the kind the comes out of a can that pops when you open it, or I have to buy it made already.
But, this all changed when I saw this beast on the floor near the appliances. And for only $12.99, I nearly squealed!
| Really pretty, right? |
When I got it home, it took me hours of searching online for a manual and printing it (seriously, it took me 45 minutes to figure out how to print the pages into a double-sided booklet), and it took me literally several days of prying, scraping, and pounding, using olive oil, two screwdrivers, and a spatula to remove the dough hook from the bowl. Apparently many yeas of disuse left it nearly fused to its washers. But I was not to be deterred! I was at least going to test it out to make sure it worked. I figure that at this price, if we get a half dozen loaves of decent bread, we'll get our money's worth.
It takes up as much room on the counter as a microwave, and there's no way that and a crock pot or rice cooker would all fit in the kitchen at the same time. It has to live on the floor in the garage when it's not being used. But who cares, if the house can smell like a bakery for a few hours every couple of days?
| Bread, glorious bead! |
| Gorgeous and perfect egg bread, wouldn't you say? |
Do you have a bread machine? What's your favorite thing to make?


I am very tempted but I don't think we will ever get one. I have found a few bread recipes that don't call for a machine, so I might try those. Hooray for finding a good deal!
ReplyDeleteI have one, and it is great for making dough for sweet breads, cinnamon buns, pizza! My favorite bread to make in it is the cheese bread... yum!
ReplyDeleteGood for you for getting such a deal!
this is seriously inspirational. i've never had a bread machine, but lately have been musing...:-)
ReplyDelete