Friday, October 29, 2010

Pure

The Word of God is pure.  Prov 30:5

I have been meditating on that word today.  Pure in motive.  Pure in purpose.  Pure in love.

My words are less than pure.

They have an undercurrent of need.  A need to be understood, to be appreciated, to be right, to be heard.
If they aren't driven by need, they often have a want in there.  I want you to do this for me.  I want to convince you of something.  I want to receive a certain response.

They have a great deal of self.  Self-love.  Self-satisfaction.  Self-awareness.  Self-doubt.  Just hearing myself talk.

They often lack faith.  They sound like a stormcloud threatening rain.  They're quick to confess lack, and slow to profess hope.

The words the Lord speaks are only uttered in love.  Even his rebuke is in kindness, to correct in a way that draws me back to Him.  My corrections are often unnecessary, and not usually with the other's good in mind.

The words of the Lord have purpose and accomplish what they are sent to do.  My words don't usually have much thought put into them, let alone an abiding purpose.    

The words of the Lord are timeless.  Eternal.  Mine?  I don't feel like many of them will last beyond the second in which they're breathed.  

Yet our words, while not omnipotent, are potent.  (not original to me; one of our church's elders spoke recently and said this, and it's stuck with me since.)   They do have, after all, the power of life.  They have the power of death as well, and no gray in between.

But focus on that for a moment -- our words, when infused with the Holy Spirit, have power and life.  Power to build up.  Power to mend.  Power to transform.

I have to remind myself sometimes what we often hear mothers tell their toddlers:  "Use your words."  May I make use of my words today, in love of God, for the purpose of the kingdom of heaven.

May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, oh Lord, my rock and my redeemer.  Psalm 19

More thoughts and encouragement can be found if you follow back to Company Girl Coffee. :)

Have you seen my Nap Time Warriors post?  Please take a gander at it, and link up if you have something to share!

5 comments:

  1. My words always get me into trouble. What a great reminder. Thanks for sharing the verse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful writer you are...and what an honest and transparent post.

    Ennoyed visiting your blog. Hope you'll stop by and listen to my short audio post at http://cindyswanslife.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that not only my words but how I say my words make a big difference to my family...thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your words are so lovely... Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just prayed that scripture over my children as I was putting them to bed! I fail in this so often. One of my heart verses is James 1:19-20"...be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires" If I would heed these verses more, I can only imagine the difference in my household!

    ReplyDelete

I would hate for this to be only a monologue; please join in the conversation! :)