What is David asking God to do?
Oh Lord, I am calling to you.
Please hurry!
Listen when I call to you for help!
Accept my prayer....
Take control of what I say, O Lord, and guard my lips.
Don't let me drift toward evil or take part in acts of wickedness.
Don't let me share in the delicacies of those who do wrong.
Let the godly strike me!
It will be a kindess!
If they correct me, it is soothing medicine.
Don't let me refuse it.
Psalm 141:1-5 (NLT)
There is an urgency to his prayer, but it's not just "save my life and kill my enemies!" David's prayer is to be pure, to live uprightly, to walk with integrity. And it's not an aside, it is the most urgent prayer of his life at this moment.
He recognizes the importance of the "sharpening iron" of the godly, and though it be painful, it is more desirable to be corrected, and to remain teachable, than to go on without guidance or rebuke if necessary.
May I remember that it's not really my circumstances that require intense prayer--it is my heart that requires this attention if I am truly going to follow Jesus.
Happy New Year - A Quick Update
6 months ago
Great thoughts today, thanks!
ReplyDeleteI need that sharpening all the time!
ReplyDeleteIn our busy lives we tend to barrel thru and not take the time for our thots...thanks for the reminder.
ReplyDeleteHow is the pregnancy so far? With Rachel Anne's Small Things, and being in the 2nd trimester, I'm totally nesting right now.
ReplyDelete