The room had until recently been "the farthest room," also known as "the guest room," in which were stored many, many boxes and odds and ends that had no home. Last weekend I went on a cleaning streak and found places for most of the homeless items, to clear out a corner in which we could assemble a crib if we managed to find and buy one.
The trick in decorating this room is that it is still going to be a guest room, so it can't be overrun with girly, pink baby colors and decor. I've found the bedding that I believe I want, called Cherry Blossom, and it's not ridiculously babyish. I like that it is red, pink, and white, with chocolate, rather than pink, pink, and more pink.The room is now coming together with some order, and will be rearranged a bit more pretty soon. The white desk that is in the corner is covered with craft materials (not that I do anything with them, but I have plenty in case I ever want to), and soda and water bottles, because they have had a tendency to burst if we keep them in the garage lately. Eventually we will move the desk into the office where it belongs, freeing up a little more space.
I had one organizational epiphany last week, and after making a long and arduous trip to Ikea on Saturday, was able to execute it. Because a friend's daughter gave us a huge bag of baby girl clothes that had either never been worn or grown out of already, I realized that I needed to come up with a way to keep some semblance of order to this baby's paraphernalia, even before she comes on the scene, or I might just lose what remains of my mind.
I figure that whatever size she's wearing at the time will go into the dresser/changing table drawers, until she outgrows it. Once we move on to the next size, the clothes that are too small get put into a bin with the right label (and/or gets passed on to Goodwill or the next baby in line), and the next one goes into the drawers. I figure this may be the way to organize kid clothes as time goes on.
This weekend we will have a friend's 14-year-old daughter staying with us, and she will stay in the room, so we have to make it guest-friendly this week. But with all the progress we've been making, it's not too far off!
Good job on the room so far! We're still not sure how everything will be situated yet, and if Melody will be a sound sleeper or not when the baby cries...
ReplyDeleteI'm just one week ahead of you. I went into my 24th week on Saturday.
What beautiful furniture! I love that the dresser has the changing table on top and what a great price! You commented on my seeds this morning... once they get up I'm going to have to move them to keep them away from our cats, too. They will not survive once I remove the plastic wrap if the cats can get to them here either. In fact my son just came & got me (while I was typing this comment!) to say he'd found a cat present under the baby bed! Who knows what she ate this time...
ReplyDelete