![]() |
| Linking up with Finding Heaven's Soli Deo Gloria Sisters today! |
Psalm 36
"An oracle is within my heart concerning the sinfulness of the wicked:
There is no fear of God before his eyes.
For in his own eyes he flatters himself too much to detect or hate his sin." (vv. 1-2)
I remember having a conversation with my mentor several years ago, and he was talking about how essential it is to hate sin when it's found within my heart. To not tolerate it at all.
This summer I read through Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. It is a life-changing book. If I will let it be that to me. You see, the idea is that in every task, in every moment, in every thought, the mind and the heart can be focused on the precious Person of Jesus. I found myself battling to do so. So much so that I gave up. No, I would rather think about whatever stupid thing is in my mind right now. I want to be right this time. I'll try again tomorrow, but not right now. Every time I stubbornly refused to submit my heart to look to Jesus, I was essentially saying, My thoughts are more entertaining or important than anything else. Even You.
What that boils down to, in Psalm-speak, is that I am too often the one who has no fear of God. I am the one flattering myself, justifying my selfishness, laziness, cowardice. Not calling my sin what it is. Definitely not hating it. No, more like coddling it.
4 ...they commit themselves to a sinful courseLord, I am this way too often. I am best friends with my pride. Much closer to pride than to You.
and do not reject what is wrong.
I don't want it to be that way.
Tell me, what does Pride have, that Jesus doesn't?
Well, Pride lets me have my way. Doesn't ask me to bow my will. Or to be gentle and meek. Doesn't require self-discipline or honesty. Pride lets me go my own way.
And yet, what do You have, Jesus, that I and my self-absorbed ways cannot offer?
5 Your love, LORD, reaches to the heavens,But Your love, O LORD, is high, rich, mighty.
your faithfulness to the skies.
6 Your righteousness is like the highest mountains,
Your faithfulness to me is strong and unsearchable.
your justice like the great deep.Your justice is worth fearing, powerful, and beneficial when yielded to.
You, LORD, preserve both people and animals.
7 How priceless is your unfailing love, O God!Your greatness is comforting, and your abundance is always available.
People take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
8 They feast on the abundance of your house;You give me the eternal food and drink that refreshes and delights my heart. As well as everything I need for life.
you give them drink from your river of delights.
9 For with you is the fountain of life;Thank You for the Word, giving light to my heart to see what is in me.
in your light we see light.

I love Brother Lawrence's book! It is a go-to book on my shelf. I am so thankful that God is for me, and He really wants that kind of relationship... always! Thanks for the link yesterday!
ReplyDeleteBlessings on your day!
Awesome reminder today~ I love that concept of hating sin as quickly as we recognize it. In our house we loudly say 'I'm dead to that' when a thought comes over us and repeat it until we have let God have control over that thought. It has led to many times shouting to ourselves and feeling a bit ridiculous, but has been a good way to recognize sin. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteYou are so right -- did you notice that pride was in all caps on my blog entry today. So tantalizing is pride. I love how you showed what pride has that Jesus doesn't and what Jesus has that pride doesn't. It really helped alter my perspective a bit -- new clarity on an old issue.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you linked up today!
Have you ever read anything by Amy Carmichael? She was a missionary in India before Mother Teresa! She rescued girls from temple prostitution. If you liked Practicing the Presence of God, I think you'd appreciate her writing. Her books have a wonderful way of pointing her readers to the Cross and inspiring love and grace.
ReplyDeleteYour exposition of Psalm 36 was beautiful!
Oh, pride. Blech. It always gets in the way, doesn't it? I find that even when I think I'm not being prideful, there are times that I actually am.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written - so great to meet you today!
I use to pride myself on not being prideful...then I realized putting myself down and all that was prideful in itself. Ouch.
ReplyDeleteI always need the reminder to be careful and this was a beautifully expressed reminder.
Nice to meet you!
Pride.....I have pride in many things. Some positive, most not. Thank you for giving me something to reflect on.
ReplyDelete