Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Make Your Squash Sit Up Straight - Baked Acorn Squash

I recently baked Acorn Squash, using a recipe much like this one from Simply Recipes.  They're all basically the same, and they are always the best if they have brown sugar and butter in them.  I mean, really, isn't everything?

Unless you are extremely skilled at cutting the squash perfectly, it is a little bit tricky to make them sit upright and hold all the buttery sugary goodness in the hollowed out center.  All of my anal retentive friends out there will appreciate that I have found an extremely simple and cheap way to make the acorn squash halves sit perfectly straight and upright.



See the sad crooked squash half
Rip off a section of foil, and crumple it loosely

Wrap foil into a loose doughnut

See the happy squash half, ready to be filled with sugar and butter!





Find more tips and recipes at We Are THAT Family's carnival Works For Me Wednesday!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I have not tried acorn squash before. I do like butternut squash though. I will have to try something new this fall season.

    I linked up my vegetarian chicken noodle soup this week to WFMW:

    http://longwaitforisabella.blogspot.com/2010/10/vegetarian-chicken-vegetable-noodle.html

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife LOVES butternut squash, so I may try this out for a surprise recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, that's clever! But it never occurred to me to put the butter and brown sugar in the squash before baking; I just do it afterward and have always been happy with the results. I guess I'll have to try this and see if it's even yummier.

    I learned a few years ago that baking squashes face-down in 1/2 inch of water makes them cook faster and softer because they steam as well as bake. Do you use water?

    ReplyDelete

I would hate for this to be only a monologue; please join in the conversation! :)