Saturday, September 25, 2010

Gossie


"Gossie is a gosling. A small, yellow gosling, who likes to wear bright red boots."

Gossie is currently a very favorite friend at our house. She walks all around her barnyard in her bright red boots. One day she loses her bright red boots. It makes her sad.

See figure 1.

Unfortunately, L has learned empathy, and Gossie's loss makes her very sad, also.

A couple of evenings ago, I was in the middle of making or cleaning up something in the kitchen when I heard L whimpering. It was the kind of whimpering she makes when she wants some sort of help, but doesn't want to come ask for it directly. (I'm afraid she learned that from me.)

"Baby, what's the matter? Come here, and I'll help you." My annoyance was masked nicely.

Imagine my surprise when she stumbled into the kitchen to present her Gossie book at my feet, pleading with me to understand that she had found her poor, heartbroken friend on the page. No amount of reasoning or comforting would bring her to rejoice that on the very next page Gossie's boots returned on Gertie's feet.

Gossie was heartbroken, and my dear child was insisting upon mourning with her.
There is so much to be learned from her, if I'll only let my heart out of its casings occasionally.

Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Rom. 12:15

3 comments:

  1. No wonder Jesus, in reference to children, said, "for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." I have a lot to learn from my little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an amazing story -- how precious is she who has such a soft, tender heart. It touched me deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww so sad. it's amazing how much they understand.

    ReplyDelete

I would hate for this to be only a monologue; please join in the conversation! :)