Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Accidental Chicken Soup Pilaf

Tonight for dinner I created something delicious and completely accidental. It started out as chicken soup. But I boiled away almost all the broth, and then added too much rice. So it became soupy rice with chicken soup vegetables. And it was really, really yummy. I am writing it out so that I can make it again--on purpose.
  • Start with the usual suspects for making chicken stock:
  • chicken bones (these were raw, actually almost still frozen). This time I used the spine parts that I'd thrown into the freezer for this purpose. (Note to self: never buy chicken leg quarters again unless it says "without nasty spine part" on the package.)
  • carrots, onions, celery. These will not be the final veggies, so I cut them into really large pieces - quartered, really. I used 1/2 a monster onion, 2 carrots, and 2 celery stalks with leaves. While I was at it, I also chopped the veggies for the finished product and threw them into a tupperware in the fridge to be added about 30 min before the end of the cooking process.
  • Add enough water to cover. Throw in spices; this time it was Marjoram, Bay Leaves, Coriander pods, and Black Peppercorns. About a teaspoon of each. A sprinkle of salt.
  • Boil, then bring to a simmer, and cook with the lid on for about 3 hours, or until you come back to check on it and say to yourself, "oh, crap! What's the point of making a stock if you boil it all away?"
  • Strain out the vegetables, bones, and herbs, and try to figure out how to use the measly 1 cup of stock left in the pot.
  • Then add about 2-3 cups of stock from a box that you were hoping not to break into, since that was the reason you were making chicken stock in the first place.
  • Add sliced/chopped carrots, celery, and onion. This time I used 2 carrots, half of a monster onion, and 1 rib of celery. Add any chicken meat that fell off the bones.
  • Dump in about 3/4 cup dry rice.
  • Boil, then cover and simmer for about half an hour. It ends up being very soft and flavorful rice, full of veggies and chicken. Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches and pretend you meant to make it the way it came out.

2 comments:

I would hate for this to be only a monologue; please join in the conversation! :)