Literally.
I'm having coffee (mostly decaf) and just finished breakfast. The dogs are sprawled on the floor, out cold, and E is still sleeping. It's been 5 hours, and I woke up naturally for the first time in probably a week.
Daily I go back and forth between being completely overwhelmed by the responsibilities of mothering an infant, and feeling so privileged and joyful to care for her, and that I have it half way under control. It usually depends greatly on whether I've 1) had enough sleep, 2) had a meal recently, and 3) had any form of quiet time; if any of those are in the negative, it's not a good day.
Well, it was a short-lived coffee break, but it was better than nothing. Sounds like E is awake and probably has a diaper to take care of before the first marathon feeding session of the day.
Happy New Year - A Quick Update
6 months ago
I promise, it will get better. Before you know it, that precious girl will not only be sleeping through the night but sitting up, crawling, cooing, etc. Enjoy these moments and that preiouc little one!
ReplyDeleteThanks. :) I know that this, too, shall pass - and that will come all too soon. It's crazy that it's been almost 3 weeks already. Time flies when the days are so full.
ReplyDeleteIt does take some getting used to doesn't it...I'm sure you are doing a great job! I remember panicking the first time I woke up 'normally'...I was sure something was wrong w/the babe and sent my husband to check! I was too chicken to go myself!
ReplyDeleteThe greatest advice I ever got when I had my first child was, take a nap when they do. The dishes will always be there and are the best guests as they rarely complain about hanging out and being neglected. (Oh yeah, my first is now 7 and I still haven't got a clue half the time how on earth I'm going to get it all done.) Make sure you are taking it easy, if you don't take care of yourself you can't do your best to take care of your new precious one. And she is sooo beautiful!!!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you're having tons of fun. hehe...as am I... It is tough those first weeks...and, yes, it does pass. You'll look back and wonder where the time has gone, wish that teenager in your house would just be your little baby again.
ReplyDeleteYou have done well to identify the three things that you need the most. Even though it is difficult right now to keep those things in the positive, it will get better. I always kept a few verses in my favorite feeding spots or on my fridge so that I could at least take a quick glance at them when I was feeling depleted, and snacky food that was good for me to munch on while I would feed my kids. I'm glad you recognize that you can't properly take care of baby unless you take care of you! As for sleep, well, you just catch some z's whenever you can. How wonderful that she's sleeping through the night for you! :)
ReplyDeleteHave a great week!
Melissa