Monday, June 1, 2009

40 weeks and counting

So here I am at 40 weeks, 1 day, and no signs of labor. At my appointment this afternoon I was 1 cm dilated, about half-way effaced, and Elizabeth's head is at -2 station; this means she's lodged pretty solidly in the pelvis and is well on her way to heading out. When she gets to a positive number station, I'll probably be at the hospital. Her head is farther forward than the cervix, which is still not facing the birth canal, but with contractions (which I only rarely have or at least rarely notice) it will turn and open and soften and be where it needs to be. I have another appointment on Thursday, assuming I don't have a baby at that point yet, and if necessary, we'll schedule an induction for sometime next week then.

Surprisingly, I'm actually mostly fine with still being pregnant. Part of it may be that I'm more able to be prepared, because we have had all of these 'extra' days. We have a fairly clean house. The bag is (finally) packed. Sarah has instructions for dog/cat/house-sitting whenever we take off for the hospital. I have all the parts to assemble breakfast burritos and breakfast sandwiches to make ahead and freeze for Sam to take to work in the mornings. Besides making breakfasts for the next few weeks, one of my goals for tomorrow is to do my nails and redo my toenails. It's fun to have the opportunity to do somewhat unnecessary things.

That reminds me that I will still have to make Sam's lunch for tomorrow. I don't mind doing it, but at the end of the day when my feet are already swollen (seriously they're about as wide at my ankles as my calves are in the middle), taking the time to do it is just not something I enjoy. And the poor guy is so tired of sandwiches already.

Anyways, here is a picture of myself and 2 other prego friends yesterday afternoon at the church-wide picnic/graduation party (I'm in the middle):


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would hate for this to be only a monologue; please join in the conversation! :)