Friday, October 30, 2009

Company and Coffee and a Confession

Welcome.

I am taking a break from imagining that I am going to clean the house while Elizabeth sleeps, and posting a blog entry. Instead.

Tonight a friend from San Antonio, TX, is flying in to visit, join us for the weekend, and help us with the annual Harvest Festival that our church hosts in downtown Lawrenceville. It will be fun to have company with us again (for the second time this month), but at the moment, I'm rather consumed by the responsibility of finishing my list of tasks before going to pick her up at the airport tonight.

Tomorrow (Halloween) will be the Harvest Festival's 11th year, our 3rd year being involved, and our 2nd year having the bulk of the event be our church's responsibility. It is a God-sized task, that a small-sized church is crazy to get into, except that every time it has been an amazing success. Common sense says that 120 (more or less) volunteers and a church with only about 100 people can't host an event for 3,000-4,000 people to attend free of charge. But we have to remember to factor in miracles.

This is somewhat along the lines of what my heart has been (slowly - very slowly) learning over the last week or so.

The blog entry here posted on the Home Sanctuary site hit me after I was able to consider it for a day, as it applies to our family situation. The gist of it is that I have not been looking at the future in faith, and have not been counting on the provision of God, the King of kings, the One who has all things at His disposal, and all government, economy, and nature at His disposal. Yeah, I was sort of doubting His ability to meet all our needs. Sure, I was able to foresee Him fulfilling all our needs, but only in the way that I think they should be met. Not in any other way.

Sam is a month and a half from graduating with a degree in Construction Project Management. It is not a good decade to be getting into construction. But God has been faithful to provide for us while Sam has been in school these three years, and it seems to be the way we have been led. But over the past year or two, Sam has been playing with the idea of going into a totally different career path, which is not a career path that I would have chosen. I have told him, every time he brings it up, that I have not had peace about it, and just flat out don't like the idea.

Over the past few weeks, I have begun to see my own stubbornness in regard to listening to what Sam has been saying. I have refused to budge, and really refused to pray about the possibility. As Sam has talked to me, and I have turned around and listened to him, it isn't sounding quite as bad as it had originally been in my mind. The likelihood of his actually being hired is slim, so if he were to apply and be hired, it would be essentially miraculous, and an obvious indication from God that Sam was supposed to work in this field.

While Sam was out of town last week, he talked with a couple whose insights and perspective we value, and they were positive toward the whole concept. Hearing their feedback helped me, as well.

This morning I also picked up our copy of Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest. The entry today was about Faith. Here is just one part of it:

Common sense is not faith, and faith is not common sense; they stand in the relation of the natural and the spiritual; of impulse and inspiration. Nothing Jesus Christ ever said is common sense, it is revelation sense, and it reaches the shores where common sense fails.


So my heart today is humbled, and I am actually more joyful having come to the realization that I have an opportunity to live my day in faith, rather than in a failing attempt to control my life and that of my family. And with that said, I am more energized to go about my business.

Anybody want to help me with cleaning the bathroom?

6 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time at your event this weekend. I love to see God's hand in the "small" things! (:
    ~Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. The festival will be fabulous. God knows what He's doing even though sometimes we don't think He does, or we don't know what we're doing. Looking forward to see how things all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quote from Chambers...thanks. Great perspective in your post, too. Why do we always want God's plan to align with ours instead of the other way around?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I lived closer to you, dear blogger friend, I would definitely help you clean the bathroom!

    It sounds like you have come to a good place. God is faithful and He knows what He is doing. I can't tell you how many times I have taken control, only to have to give it back to Him again. I read the faith chapter in the Bible over and over again, asking God for the kind of faith that is described there.

    Hang onto hope friend. He'll get you through.

    Enjoy your festival. We're going to our church Fall Carnival tomorrow night for some good, safe fun. :)

    Hugs,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a wonderful time at your Harvest Festival...a lot of work but I imagine it will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your festival is a huge success again this year! God is truly amazing when we allow Him to work!

    ReplyDelete

I would hate for this to be only a monologue; please join in the conversation! :)