Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Embarrassingly Easy Apple Turnovers

Ridiculously, embarrassingly easy Apple Turnovers
It's officially Fall, with bright leaves, cool air, and rain.  This prompts my urge to bake things.  It's a mixed blessing, because I would much rather try my hand at some odd confection at the spur of the moment than make a meal that will feed my family.  Or I get the urge, as I did last night, to make "something to do with apples" after 9 PM.

So, without a real plan, I started peeling and slicing 2 Granny Smith apples, while helping Lizzie finish her bedtime snack.  Then I dug out some rock-hard raisins and added them to the bowl of apples.  Then I threw them in a small saucepan, and gave Lizzie her toothbrush.  It needed a little liquid--apple juice.  Probably a quarter cup.  And some spices.  Cinnamon.  A tiny shake of cloves.  It smelled too much like apple sauce, so in goes a couple heaping spoonfuls of brown sugar.  I turned on the heat, stirred it so the raisins were in the juice, and put Liz to bed. I kept it low, and stirred a few more times, until the apples were pretty tender - starting to look slightly transparent.  I added a spoonful of cornstarch because it seemed a little too runny.  Stirred and cooked some more.
Apple Turnover Filling

When the apples were done, I poured them into a bowl in the fridge because it was late and I didn't know what else to do with them.  Then I browsed cookbooks for things to put apple into.  I didn't have enough apples to make a pie, so I had to adapt everything.  Fortunately, I had a prepared pie crust in the refrigerator, awaiting some noble purpose. I found it.

This morning a 2 year old jumped on me and demanded that I "det up" and "pum" with her into the "yiving woom."  Since I was up, and in the living room, and the coffee was starting, I decided it was time to finish my apple experiment.

I pulled the pie crust out of the fridge and tended to diapers and coffee while it softened on the counter.  I preheated the oven to 425 F, and laid out a couple sheets of waxed paper and unrolled the pie crust.  Then I cut it into 4 equal quarters, and spread a dollop of apple stuff in the middle of each quarter.  I beat an egg and brushed it onto one straight edge and half the curved edge of the pie crust, then folded one side over the apple, and used the prongs of a fork to seal the crust edges together with the egg wash.  Once they were all folded over and closed up, I brushed them with the egg, then sprinkled them with a pinch of white sugar and a dash of cinnamon, to make them look perty.  I slid them onto an ungreased cookie sheet and into the oven they went, for almost 15 minutes, until they just started to get browned.  Then I turned the oven down to 350 F and baked them for just another 10 minutes, until they were golden and crispy.
 
Breakfast?  Works for me.
Isn't that easy?  Way too easy.  And it is completely delicious.

Adapted from the Joy of Cooking, here is a ridiculously easy Apple Turnover recipe:

(measurements are approximate)

2 baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/4 c raisins
2 to 4 Tbsp apple juice (could use any fruit juice or water)
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch cloves
1/2 to 1 tsp corn starch
2 prepared pie crusts
1 egg, beaten in small bowl
(additional sugar & cinnamon, optional)

Combine everything but corn starch, pie crusts, and egg in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Bring juice to a boil, then simmer until apples are tender and raisins are plump.  About 10-20 min.
Add corn starch, stir until dissolved.
Let apple filling cool.
Unroll pie crusts and cut into quarters.  Place a large spoonful of filling onto each crust quarter, then brush 1/2" with egg wash, and fold over, sealing crust by pressing edges with the tines of a fork.
Brush egg wash over the top of the turnovers.  Sprinkle with a pinch of sugar and cinnamon, and place on an ungreased baking sheet at least 1" apart.
Bake at 425F for 12-15 min, until slightly browned.  Reduce heat to 350F and continue to bake until turnovers are browned and crisp.
Remove from oven and serve warm.  Ice cream wouldn't hurt.


(linked to WFMW here)

1 comment:

I would hate for this to be only a monologue; please join in the conversation! :)