Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Washing Kiddy Straws in the Dishwasher {WFMW}

I'm a lazy homemaker.  Really.  So when it comes to washing some things, like picky little straws that come with toddler cups, you can bet I am not going to break out the pipe cleaners. A good rinse is not sufficient when you have a sick little kiddo.  Or when you didn't realize there was a sippy cup half filled with milk under the piano bench for 2 days. 
 
No, no, that is no good.  I must figure out a way to put them in the dishwasher.  But they fall through the holes. And those crazy bottle/nipple/straw/ baby silverware contraptions are nice in theory, but not worth their space for 2 or 3 puny straws.  And dishwasher real estate is priceless:  I will put more effort into rearranging cups and bowls to make them all fit than it would ever take to just wash them by hand. 

So, here is my solution, and it works quite well.

Wrap a rubber band around at least 2 straws.  You have to wrap it around multiple times, and get around each straw individually at least once.  You don't want to have to fish one of them out because it fell through the silverware during the rinse cycle.



Then, drop 'em in with the silverware.

 

They come out clean and sterilized.  Can it get any easier?  I think not.  That's why it works for me
(I also learned that if you have only one straw to wash, you can band it to a knife.  Works just as well.)


1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea. Bummer, we don't have a dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete

I would hate for this to be only a monologue; please join in the conversation! :)