Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Things I Should Be Doing

The minute I open the "New Post" window, my mind fills with Things I Should Be Doing

Never mind that I just spent an hour and a half on the computer, not doing the Things I Should Be Doing.  Facebook, Due In July 2011 forum, blog reading.  I've just exhausted my interest in those particular things normally waste my time, and now I think, "I should write a blog post." 

And here they come, like a flock of starlings, swooping in with their distracting cackles.

I should finish the last dish that's soaking in the sink.  I should clean the bread maker I just bought (at the Salvation Army store for only $13!).  I should track down a stapler and staple together the manual I printed online (double-sided and everything.  That only took me 45 minutes to figure out.).  I should straighten the living room.  Start the laundry.  Or at least sort the laundry.  Clean the bathrooms.  (You remember a week or two ago when I made a chore chart for myself?  Today I should clean the bathrooms and purge the fridge and start the laundry.  Oh, and sweep.)  I should start dinner.  I should get a snack. 

I'm back.  I ate a waffle.  And a glass of milk.  If there's anything I love about being pregnant, it's that I can eat a waffle nearly any time of day and enjoy it thoroughly.  After the first trimester, of course.

It's cold in here; I should turn up the heat.  I should try again to pay that pesky AT&T bill that never seems to accept our credit card the first time I try.  I should research cell phones to replace my dying, broken, taped-together phone.  I should figure out what is required to get my daughter's birth certificate, since she is, after all, 19 months old.  I should download the photos from the camera.  Then I should upload them for the relatives. 

I should just write a blog post.

Then I think, "I don't know what to write." 

Oh, I know!  I can sit down and write a list and a schedule and brainstorm new and fun topics.  And then I can chart them on a calendar and decide when to write which thing. 

No, I'll just go start on the Things I Should Be Doing, and see how far I get.  And before long, the little girl with the runny nose will be awake and wanting me to "hold you" for the rest of the evening.  

Hey, look!  I just wrote a blog post! 

2 comments:

  1. A few friends of mine just got the birth certs for their kids so they can have them for school. Both are 4 years old, so you're good. =p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the photos being uploaded to the relatives. No pressure. :)

    And hey, you accomplished a blog post! I did not.

    ReplyDelete

I would hate for this to be only a monologue; please join in the conversation! :)