I'm not really one of those people who is inspired to "start fresh" with every new year. Maybe it has to do with not being obsessed with numbers, maybe it's from being homeschooled and now being a stay-at-home-mom, where I don't deal with a calendar quite the same way that I did when I worked. Maybe I am a non-conformist and just can't bear to do what everyone else is doing. Maybe I'm afraid to make a list of resolutions that I can't keep maintained.
At any rate, this year I feel different about all that.
It's probably because I am just now recovering from my first trimester (did you miss it? We're expecting a new Chen in July!), complete with morning sickness and the head cold from the pit of hell. It likely has something to do with Sam starting work this week (thank you, Jesus!). Sam really loves his job, by the way. He comes home excited about it every day. It is such a blessing to have him happy about work, and to have him busy. I loved having him home, but there is nothing quite like having the house feel like my domain again.
To start with, I'm blogging again, and this weekend I'm hoping to chart out a bit of a plan. I couldn't pass on joining you Company Girls today. This is especially true since I'm finally enjoying coffee again!
One thing I am surprised that I'm excited about is getting back to menu planning. I slacked off totally when I was too sick to even think about food.
This morning I actually sat down with a cookbook and figured out several recipes that I could convert to meals that could be prepared in advance and frozen. It is exciting. I'll have to figure out whether to do one mega-cooking day (or weekend), or just build up a supply gradually by doubling or tripling recipes and freezing the extras. I may do a combination of the two. Alicia's post about once-a-month cooking and planning really got me thinking I could do it.
Last week I sat down with my copy of Square Foot Gardening and figured out when the last spring frost is, and made a timeline of when we could plant things. I think I could start in March. My dad said one of our friends has an extra SFG frame that would be available if I wanted it. I said, "Yes, please!" Now I just have to find a place in our yard that would get enough sun to make it worth while.
I have a couple of odd projects to work on for my mom. Her book, When Sparrows Fall, is coming out in May, and I'll be helping her with some office paperwork, mailing lists, etc. I have some assignments to get busy with, and I'm finally feeling capable of adding that to my weekly routine.
Happy 2011, everyone! I hear the short person singing to herself in her crib, so it is time to post and move on.
Happy New Year - A Quick Update
6 months ago
Happy New Year! I have been working on menus and thinking about freezing as well...I'll look forward to what you come up with, I think it is such a good idea! glad your feeling better!
ReplyDeleteBlessings
I am a bit of the same when the new year comes around. I need to get on top of figuring out that gardening stuff too. We're going to change it up this year since 100-300 tomatoes is a bit too much for us even with a lot of people to give them to. =p Enjoy your 2nd trimester and your weekend.
ReplyDeleteIt was fun to see you and the Short Person this morning! And I'm glad you can enjoy your coffee again. Life is better with coffee.
ReplyDeleteHi, I'm visiting from Company Girls. Congratulations on your pregnancy. I totally enjoyed reading this post, such an easy read. And one I can relate to--trying to cook ahead and planning a garden.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on hubby's job! So happy for y'all! Sounds like you have a great year ahead of you! I need to be a better planner...I'm just not, even though I know how much more smoothly things go when I do!
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend!
Wow, you are busy, busy with lots of plans and goals! Here's to a wonderful 2011 to you :)
ReplyDeleteI wish you Happy New 2011!
ReplyDeleteक्या कहने साहब ।
जबाब नहीं निसंदेह ।
यह एक प्रसंशनीय प्रस्तुति है ।
धन्यवाद ।
satguru-satykikhoj.blogspot.com