Sunday, December 19, 2010

Menu Planning and Morning Sickness

Now that I've given my big reveal, it won't be so hard to keep up a more regular blogging routine.  Something about not being able to talk about the biggest thing going on in my life paralyzed me from writing.  I'm also convinced that my lack of rest contributed to my lack of quiet times which in turn contributed to my lack of a sense of purpose in writing, which therefore contributed to my lack of writing.  Besides all that, I felt like crap.

Well, good that we got that out of the way.  I have to laugh because I am talking about menu planning.  I have told myself for the last 2 years that "the next time I get pregnant I'll quickly cook up a bunch of chicken and prepare a lot of freezer meal kits, before the morning sickness hits."  I thought that was a really good idea.  And it was, until reality hit and my first identifiable symptom about 2 weeks into the pregnancy was violent nausea.

Honestly, it's a wonder that we haven't all starved, the way I've had trouble even going into the kitchen some days.  There is nothing worse than dry heaving while trying make something to feed your hungry, confused toddler.  Who would have known that chicken nuggets would be so offensive?  Or rice and beans.  Or spaghetti (honestly, the thought of spaghetti makes me gag.  Just gagged.).  Or a hot dog.  Or oatmeal.  Or an egg.  Poor Sam has had to fend for himself more often than not.  

Suffice it to say, we have not had a menu plan in our house for about 10 weeks.  We have been living on the nutritious meals provided by Marie Callendar and dear Mrs. Stouffer.  I have had more Super Sonic Breakfast Burritos (light on the jalapenos and onions, heavier on the tots) in the last 2 months than in the previous 10 months.  Our deep freezer (a "happy pregnancy/we just (finally) got our tax return" gift from Sam) is full of convenience foods.  I will seriously have to take a picture.  And we've qualified for a GA-funded EBT card, so we're loading it up right now, with as much as can fit in there.  The thing is nearly 14 cubic feet.  That's a lot of veggies and Michellina's, y'all.

I will, however, try to get to the grocery store tomorrow, to pick up some necessities - orange juice, Raisin Bran Crunch (seriously, have you tried it?  That stuff's good!), saltines, Gatorade, chocolate chips, and some variety of red meat.  And some vegetables, since those are good for you. 

Tuesday I will host the 3rd Annual Great Cookie Bake, however, this time without the baking part.  It'll just be the cookie exchange part.  And that's really what everyone comes for anyway.  I've narrowed down my options for contributions to either Saltine Heath Toffee Bars, or Classic Sugar Cookies.  One is super easy, the other is super cute, and can be super fun.  Which would you pick?

4 comments:

  1. I would vote the Saltine Heath Toffee Bars simply because I have never heard of this and it sounds so interesting to use I'm assuming Saltine crackers? I'd love to get the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they use Saltines ... the link is up there. It is seriously the simplest recipe ever! You should really try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the exact same way too, and plus just too tired to blog. And seriously, there were days when I couldn't even brush my teeth because it made me gag, actually it still happens from time to time right now. I think we had Stouffers too!!!! Love Raisin Bran Crunch! Sugar cookies...I haven't baked cookies for the holidays yet...should get to that. We just made baked fudge this weekend. That was it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, this post cracked me up. Girl, we all do what we have to do! I remember my 1st trimester well...I was working full time and hardly made any homecooked meals during that trimester. I just looked into the cabinets and felt BLAH.

    Joyce, brushing my teeth made me gag, too! Isn't that the weirdest thing?

    Oh, and Cindy, I think I would make the Saltine Heath Bar Thingies. Heath bar anything is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete

I would hate for this to be only a monologue; please join in the conversation! :)