It's late tonight, so there's no coffee this time. We have bottled water. And apple cider. We can heat it in the microwave for a treat.
In the past few weeks, my mind has been preoccupied. Not with anything bad, not even with worry. And since the appropriate time to share what's been going on has not yet come, I have been trying to think of other things to write. But with no luck. So here is the brief update on life in the Chen household.
Thanksgiving was lovely. We scorched a turkey in the fryer. It turned out fine on the inside. We (collectively--all 7 of us) ate an entire block of cream cheese. We made mimosas. We confirmed that our favorite dish of all is green bean casserole. Not turkey so much. My mom and I are already plotting how to make it even simpler next year. We're thinking that Publix will make your whole meal for you, if you just order it ahead. I know, there are all these domestic goddesses blogging about their homemade from scratch turkeys and pies and casseroles and sauces, and then there's me. But you know what? That's me right now.
We have a new deep freezer! I am loving it. The last three times I've gone to the grocery store I have come back heavy laden with frozen goods--vegetables, chicken nuggets, meats to freeze, and toaster strudels. Yes, toaster strudels. I had forgotten about them until recently. Ah, with the little frosting packet to drizzle on top.... Sorry. I think it's almost time for a snack. At any rate, I am looking forward to planning out an intense cooking weekend during which I will make meals and meal-parts to make my life so much simpler.
Target was fun to shop last week. Old Navy was a zoo. The weather has been exciting--tornadoes in my parents' neighborhood (maybe you saw it in the news on Tuesday) and freezing temperatures and t-shirt weather, all in the same week.
Unfortunately, Sam heard from the company that we were kind of banking on hiring him. They sent him a letter, bearing the good ol', Thanks, but no thanks. That has been hard on him. He's continued to apply to different places, but it's getting frustrating having no solid leads and no paycheck. And nothing to keep him focused day by day. It is hard for a man to be unemployed. It is not particularly easy for his wife, either.
I know there's got to be more I can do; more I can pray; more I can help scour CareerBuilder. But I get so tired of praying the same thing. I get discouraged praying for this job and that job to be the one, and then his being turned down. I know Sam is tired of hearing that he is not the candidate they're looking for. I know he's tired of being home every day.
I know there is a good job for Sam somewhere. I know that God is able to rearrange whole corporations to make room for him. I know that until He does, we're going to have everything we need.
Deep breath. Change gears.
I'm looking forward to Christmas. We're hoping to make it out to visit Sam's family this month. I am slowly motivating myself to do the cleaning and rearranging that will be necessary to make a space for the tree. Lizzie will really enjoy Christmas this year, being 18 months old. She has had a delightful sense of awe at decorated trees when she's seen them in person. She saw a picture of a lit garland around a front door and called it a necklace. She insists that she wants one. I want to pull the decorations out of the attic and put a garland up around the front door, just to hear her say "wow!"
We bought (half off at Target!) a Thomas & Friends beginner train set, which Lizzie will be thrilled to open and play with. She still has an outrageous crush on Thomas. She squeals with glee when the show comes on TV. I want to fill her stocking with bouncy balls and new socks and hair bows and bath toys. I hope we'll get at least enough snow for Lizzie to understand what it is. I hope we'll make fires in the fire place and light Christmasy candles and make cookies. I want to host another cookie exchange. I'm thinking it may be a simplified version this time.
What are you most looking forward to this Christmas?
Happy New Year - A Quick Update
6 months ago

I'm most looking forward to sharing it all with you and the rest of the family!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about the job! I know that is so discouraging. You have been such a trooper through all of this and really such a witness to just relying on God...I know you have touched many hearts even through your struggles. Praying for strength for you this week!
ReplyDeleteSorry that times are tough. We've been through that, and also not at the best of times either. First was right after we came back from our honeymoon, and 2nd was when we were expecting E's arrival. I know it totally sucks while you're in the midst of it. God's timing was totally right on though. He will be your Jehovah Jireh.
ReplyDelete