Friday, March 26, 2010

It's All About Perspective

Hi.

I'm typing as quickly as I can, because I am hearing Lizzie stirring in her crib; she's been asleep for almost 2 hours, so the time is limited. I love it when she sleeps for a nice, long time. She is so much happier. She really thrives on her schedule. I think I'm probably the same way.

However, yesterday's revelation that considers that "interruptions" are part of the excitement, glory, and joy of life has helped me immensely to keep my attitude in check. Who cares if things don't go as I had planned?

I also realized that when I speak to my baby, I do so in cheerful tones, with only positive things, and do everything possible to keep her feeling secure and happy. Why don't I do that with the other people in my life? Because they can organize abstract thoughts and have conversations using actual words, does that somehow grant them the privilege of hearing my every complaint and frustration? Why do I try so hard to make Lizzie laugh, and don't think much about whether my poor, stressed, tired husband is happy or not? How often have I been a pain in the @$$ when I just need to be kind, supportive, and fun to be around? Going forward I do want to focus on my tone and my words, and the effect they have in my home.

This week has been a rough one as far as school goes for Sam. If anybody reads this, please pray with us that he gets the sign-offs he needs from his professors, so that he can finish this senior project and graduate. It's the 2nd time he's had to submit it, and if he doesn't complete it this time, it would be heartbreaking.

For fun, I signed up for "Swagbucks" and it would be exciting if I actually earned enough of these to win some kind of gift card. They have $10 Starbucks cards for 1300 points. We'll see if it's actually worth the trouble. If so, maybe I'll treat myself out to coffee once in a while, especially since it should be nicer weather and more fun to take the Lizzie Bit out on stroller jaunts.

We found out this week that Lizzie loves to watch ice skating and dancing. She was mesmerized by Dancing With the Stars on Monday night. While watching a little bit of figure skating on TV, she couldn't take her eyes off of them, and I promise she started holding her arms outward like the girl skating on the screen! Since she's so into dancing, this toy has been her absolute favorite this week, thanks to Christina and Wade and Ann!



Well, that dancing Lizzie Bit is grunting in the corner of her crib now, so of course that means I'll be greeted by an all-too-familiar smell when I go in to get her. Fun times!
Have a happy weekend. :)

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about being happy with the baby but not anyone else. Poor Melody. I thinnk she needs some "Mommy and me" time. Let me know how the swagbucks go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your thoughts about being happy with the baby but not with others... good stuff to think about! I'm a big fan of Swagbucks... since the Amazon.com gift card is the "cheapest" of the cards that are worth getting, I stock up on them and use them to buy gifts, books for school, etc. I even used them to buy a laser printer last year (and now a refill for the toner)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet! My two year old loves anything musical or dance related. He is so cute, he will just stop what he is doing and start dancing or singing! Maybe you have a little prodigy on your hands! :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you say about your tonality and positivity when you speak to your child...I find myself doing the same thing...Such a good perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perspective is such a good thing. Thanks for sharing yours.

    I'm new to swagbucks too, but I hear so many people saying good things about it that maybe there's something to it :)

    ReplyDelete

I would hate for this to be only a monologue; please join in the conversation! :)