Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Settling

I ran across this verse this morning: Psalm 107:7

He led them by a straight way to a city where they could settle.

It was sort of the verse that carried me when my family was moving from MI to GA when I was 16, that encouraged me to know that the Lord had a purpose in the move. I thank God that He brought us to Atlanta, every time I think of it.
But when I read it this morning, I began to wonder whether I am settling, rather than venturing. I feel "settled" right now, and it is a good feeling, to not be striving, to not be struggling to just have a basic sense of sanity.
Several years ago, I was going through probably my greatest and deepest spiritual growth spurt, and I remember making a statement that I did not want to settle spiritually, rather be a spiritual sort of pioneer, always looking ahead to the next adventure, always cutting away to the place where no one else has gone or seen or tamed.


I feel like I have two of those little cartoon shoulder voices, one a little angel and one a little devil. One says, "Oh, but it is really hard to move out from what you know, and you're not doing too badly. You don't need to do anything more than you are now. You can have an adventure later. When you're actually bored. You can just enjoy this peaceful, comfortable feeling for now."
But the other says, "You know that's not what you want. You really know that the only way you can be truly content is to keep pressing on and pressing in to what the Holy Spirit is prompting in you. You don't have to know how or where to start, just seek His face, and you'll venture beyond where you are by being transformed."
So my heart has to choose, will I relax and grow more and more discontented as the days go by? Or will I press 'onward and upward'?