If I remember correctly, it came on a table, which was kind of a disaster. The table is long gone.
It had belonged to the seller's grandmother, who used it for decades, and was only selling it because she had a new, fancier machine.
Of course, it wouldn't take much to be newer.
But fancier? This comes with more feet than I know what to do with. It comes with interchangeable wheels that can be inserted to make elaborate embroidery stitches.
And it comes with the original 1963 owners manual . . .
. . . complete with well-manicured hands demonstrating how to wind the bobbin. What else could I ask for?
Maybe something to sew!
Well, if that's all I need, perhaps this weekend's sale ($0.99 for selected Simplicity patterns!) at JoAnn's would inspire me. Yes indeed!
Lizzie and I ventured to the grand world of JoAnn's for almost an hour on Saturday, where I scoured the Simplicity file cabinets, and Lizzie located "fuzz" from the floor, showing me the especially big or colorful pieces of "fuzz." Yes, I let my child play with dust bunnies, fabric shavings, and ... I don't really want to think about it. But everyone was happy.
I came home with a receipt that said that I paid $9.45, and saved $131.64. I love receipts that look like that.
As you can see, I selected quite an eclectic assortment of patterns. Skirts, baby gear, toddler dresses, infant shoes, aprons, shirts, curtains. I should have no excuse if I ever get the sewing bug and don't know where to start.
Upon returning home, I put Lizzie down for her nap, moved the sewing machine from the office (soon to become guest room) into the master bedroom, and proceeded to accomplish a project.
The strap that allows you to collapse the back seat in the Suburban had busted, and it needed to be re-sewn. Sam commissioned me to fix it, and fortunately, the dear old grandmother who originally had the machine also had heavy-duty needles. Armed with heavy duty thread, and my trusty old owners manual, I figured out how to a) wind the bobbin, b) replace the all-purpose foot with a zipper foot, c) change the needle, and d) sew nylon webbing.
Before:
After:
I feel so accomplished. So inspired. So ready to create something.
Now all I need is fabric.
looks like you got a great deal on that sewing machine! have fun with it! I need to take mine in and get fixed - I've messed with it so much and I can't figure out whats wrong with it!
ReplyDeletei might get the sewing bug soon too. so sad i don't know how to use one considering my mom used to be a seamstress.
ReplyDeleteOh Cindy....I just caught the coupon bug, why are you trying to give me the sewing bug too?? Good for you though; you're like Super-Mom!!
ReplyDelete