I'm linking up to Company Girl Coffee with the gals coming through from Home Sanctuary. Welcome. :)
Tomorrow morning I am taking part in a "Brown Bag Day" at my church, where we will be perusing, discussing, and appreciating the value of children's literature. Among a handful of other women, I've been asked to give a presentation; mine is to be about the Caldecott Medal.
Since then, I have borrowed 28 books from my local library, and made great use of the ability to request books from other branches in the county. I have a terrific stack of books in the living room, and it's been a lot of fun to discover so many great stories and artful and creative books.
The Caldecott Medal is an award given annually to "the most distinguished American picture book for children published in the previous year" by the American Library Association. In a way, it is an answer to the Newbery Medal given by the ALA for children's literature, but awarded to the artist, rather than the author. Since 1938, the illustrator has also been the author of the text in 44 of the past 72 awards.
It is named for Randolph Caldecott, an English illustrator from the 1800's, whose paintings graced many nursery rhymes. I didn't realize it until this week, but the pictures associated in my mind with many of the stories were his interpretations of the rhymes.
Part of the criteria involved is that the illustrations be so vital that they are what makes the story what it is.
Of the collection I've gathered, my favorites have been Flotsam by David Wiesner, Time of Wonder and Make Way for Ducklings, both by Robert McCloskey,
Flotsam is fun because it has no text, only pictures. A boy is investigating things he finds at the beach when he discovers an underwater camera washed up on shore. He develops the film and sees fantastical images from under the sea. The final photo is a picture of the last person to have found the camera, holding a photo of the person before, holding a photo of the person before, and so on. So he follows suit, taking a photo of himself and casting the camera back into the ocean to be found by yet another young scientist. If I ever find it at a book sale, I'm picking that one up.
Make Way for Ducklings is one I remember as one a great book that I read and asked my mom to read to me countless times when I was little. McCloskey's "Time of Wonder" is suddenly my favorite, because it is really so well executed. The pictures are beautiful, and the text is creative and poetic. But together, they make you feel like you are on the islands of Maine with this vacationing family for a summer. I wish so much that I had not had to return it to the library because I want to bring it to the event tomorrow. There is one particular scene depicted in which you "watch" rain clouds begin to form, then get darker; then you can see the rain begin to fall, and the storm is heading toward you. As you turn the page you almost gasp and get excited because now "the rain is falling on you!"
I'm excited to bring these books and what I've discovered about them to the group tomorrow. I hope what I can convey is a sense of wonder at the fun and wealth of children's books.



Sounds fun! I'm a huge lover of children's literature as is evidenced by the overflowing bookshelves all over our house...I just can't seem to part with them! I love "Make Way For Ducklings!" Have a fun lunch and a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteHow about the Newbery Medal? Is someone doing that? How fun to learn something new! I love requesting books and having them put on hold. I don't have to carry them around the library. We just go online and I have Melody look for what she wants, request, and we hang out at the library playing games, looking at books, play computer games, etc, and when we're reading to go, I go to the hold shelf and get my books, check out, and go. =) Thanks for sharing what you learned!
ReplyDeleteI love children's literature! It sounds like you had quite a fun assignment. Thanks for sharing what you've learned.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful thing to learn about. I'd never heard of the Caldecott Medal either. Flotsam sounds wonderful. I'll have to see if they have it in the children's section the next time I'm at the library. I hope you have fun giving your talk and have a good weekend!
ReplyDeleteI'm a fellow Company Girl making the rounds.
Thanks for sharing your presentation on your blog :0) I wish I could have been there yesterday, but it was fun reading about what you learned. I had never heard of the Caldecott Medal either.
ReplyDelete