Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Kingdom of Heaven is Like...

This is going to be quick (I hope) because I just put the baby down for a nap, and I have a few things that need to happen before we head out for a visit. But since last night I have been thinking about this and I have to get it out.

The Kingdom of Heaven is like ... a kingdom!

Last night I realized I am very appreciative of the fact that Jesus speaks of the kingdom of heaven as a kingdom. Everyone understands a kingdom, even a 3-year-old. There's a king, and he's the boss. No one else is the king. He has dominion over his kingdom. If he's a good king, there is peace and security. If he is not a good king, then, well, there is mud, and slop, and repression.

"I didn't know we 'ad a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective."


Conversely, I appreciate what the kingdom of heaven is not like:


A bureaucracy. God doesn't have to deal with red tape.


A family. God is not dysfunctional.


A utopia. No one understands what utopia really is. Try explaining it.



An autocracy. Like everyone doing what they want is really conducive to society.



A republic. Aren't you glad you don't have to speak to your representative every time you want to ask God for the funds to pay your bills, or to help your baby poop, or to make a hemorrhoid go away, or to help you change your attitude?



A democracy. I'm glad we don't vote on who is in charge of the universe.



A corporation. Thank God we don't have to worry about heaven being downsized.



A university. I am so glad I don't have to work to get in, don't have to keep my grade up, and can't fail out of life or the kingdom.



In all, I am so grateful that the Kingdom of heaven is like ... a kingdom. Which cannot be shaken, and endures as long as its King.

3 comments:

  1. Great post. The kingdom can't be shaken because the King can't be shaken.

    Also, I'm happy that you know the difference between a democracy and a republic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post! One of my favorite chapters of the Bible is Job 38. I think of it as the 'Who do you think you are!' chapter. It's God's Kingdom and he has a right to do as he pleases with his creation, as you said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, thanks for taking the time to share with us today. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

I would hate for this to be only a monologue; please join in the conversation! :)